What Makes A Band Legendary?
Was Nirvana really a "legendary" rock band?
— Ryan (@Ham0nRy) July 23, 2015
Ryan Hamner got me thinking: What makes a band legendary beyond just “knowing” they are legendary. I believe it to be a mix of talent, influence, popularity, moment definement, and are themselves a story that transcends music.
Example of metrics would be:
- “Was this band ever the BIGGEST band in the world?”
- “Did they define a moment in time?
- “Did something happen to them (a death, a huge story, etc) that makes them stand out in memory?
- “Did they start or popularize a movement?”
- “Did they have staying power?”
Here is my (incomplete) list of legendary bands.
- The Beatles
- Rolling Stones
- The Who
- Led Zeppelin
- Black Sabbath
- Pink Floyd
- Michael Jackson
- The Doors
- Jimi Hendrix
- Pearl Jam
- Van Halen
- Guns ‘n’ Roses
- Fleetwood Mac
- Grateful Dead
- Dr. Dre
- Snoop Dogg
I’m sure there are more, so let me know in the comments who you would add.
- Previous Hero Time: Andrew McCutchen Wins it in The 14th
- Next Jerome Bettis Inducted Into the Pro Football Hall of Fame